Searching the cupboards, searching the fridge, I even went as far as…Delaware Memorial Bridge…? (Thank you Rhyme Zone, your ‘rhyme with fridge’ suggestions have devastated my poem) I so did not. I got as far as the fridge and found exactly what would suffice. Mushrooms. Specifically, warm and succulent stuffed ‘shrooms 2.0. I ate mine with my new love: Mexican bean burgers (high high high recommendation), veg and oven chips. Perfecto portobello. Muchas gracias mi seta.
3 portobello mushrooms
You will need…
❄️ 3 portobello mushrooms
❄️ 1 small onion
❄️ 1 garlic clove
❄️ 1/2 a yellow bell pepper
❄️ 1 slice of wholemeal bread
❄️ light soy sauce
❄️ Drizzle of sunflower oil
How to make:
1) Preheat your oven to 180°C (fan). In a small frying pan, with a drizzle of sunflower oil, add in a diced onion and a finely chopped garlic clove; cook for 5 minutes until they start to brown, stir every so often.
2) While you wait, chop half a yellow bell pepper into small pieces, add after the 5 minutes.
3) Make breadcrumbs with a slice of wholemeal bread by lightly toasting then blending in a food processor, or just crumble the bread by hand – add to the pan along with a small drop of light soy sauce and stir, cook for a further 5 minutes until golden brown.
4) Use a teaspoon to carefully dig out the black part inside the mushroom (add to the pan!), mix everything in the pan one final time then scoop up spoonfuls of filling and add to the mushrooms. In a roasting tin, place the mushrooms in the centre shelf of your oven and bake for 15 minutes until golden brown and crispy to the touch.
5) Then serve! Enjoy as a part of a meal, enjoy as a snack, enjoy as a starter! The world is your oyster!…(starter…oyster – rhyming?! Similar, but no…