Perfect for appetisers, side-dishes and all-round fun food preparation, these Jack-o-lantern and carved pumpkin inspired spooky stuffed peppers taste great and look so cute. Wow your guests (or just yourself) with these delicious creations that give a novelty twist on your traditional festivities. Happy pepper carving!
You will need…
🍁 4 medium orange peppers
🍂 1 sachet ready to cook couscous (I used mushroom)
🍁 Small handful spinach
🍂 1 ball mozzarella
🍁 6 baby plum tomatoes
🍂 Half a small tin sweetcorn
How to make:
1) Preheat oven to 175°C. Use a sharp knife to slice off the very top of the peppers around the green stem (keep this part!). Use the knife to cut out all the insides and the seeds.
2) Cut out 2 small triangles for the eyes, a small triangle for the nose and a mouth. Remember not to cut holes that are too big otherwise the couscous filling will probably fall out.
3) Follow the instructions on the couscous packet for the filling; whilst you wait for it to absorb the water, chop the tomatoes into quarters, shred the spinach then add them along with the sweetcorn to the couscous. Mix well. For the mozzarella, use 2/3 for the main filling, set 1/3 aside. Tear off pieces from the 2/3 and add to the vegetables and couscous, mix again.
4) Use the leftover 1/3 of mozzarella to essentially line the inside of the peppers. Try and put the pieces of cheese towards the back of the peppers to avoid it all melting out of the front when you cook it.
5) Add spoonfuls of the filling to fill the peppers; place on a baking tray with the lids as well (leave the lids off the actual peppers when cooking) and bake for around 15 minutes until clearly roasted. Serve alone as appetisers or with fish and potatoes, vegetables, etc. I used packet-prepared rainbow carrots (very nice).