This is by no means a burger, or even your typical veggie burger (crispy on the outside in breadcrumbs, etc). No, these are vegetatoes, remastered, so to speak. The wonderful taste of a vegetato sandwiched in-between fresh crusty bread; it has the look of a burger, it tastes a little like a veggie burger, but this is a whole new level of potato. Say hello to vegetato two: the further (ad) ‘ventures of vegetato and co – waiting to be grilled in an oven near you.
30 mins all-in-all
You will need…
🍁 2 bread-cakes
🍂 Sliced beef tomatoes
🍁 Lettuce leaves
(For the vegetato itself, follow the recipe: https://theflourfield.wordpress.com/2016/10/03/healthy-meal-idea-3-vegetato-ad-ventures-served-with-fish-salad/ )
🍄 This time around I used an aubergine instead of a courgette, and sun-dried tomatoes rather than fresh tomatoes)
How to make:
1) Wash, scrub and stab the potatoes and microwave for 3 minutes, turn, and another 3 minutes (stab with a sharp knife, if they’re soft, they’re cooked).
2) Whilst they are cooking, in a frying pan, add the mushrooms and cook for 4 minutes.
3) Add the rest of the vegetables to the pan and cook for a further 5-7 minutes. Then set aside.
4) In a large jug and with a fork, mix the potatoes (leave on the skin) until fluffy and incorporated. Add the vegetables from the frying pan and mix again.
5) Add the shredded spinach and chunks of cheese and mix.
6) Leaving half of the potatoes in the jug, begin to make the first burger by add the other half to a frying pan and then form into a circular burger shape. Cook each side for around 4-5 minutes (turn with with a spatula), then cook the other half of potato burger. Alternatively, add all the potatoes to the pan in one go and make one big burger, then cut in half to serve.
7) Whilst they are cooking, put your oven grill on full power and put the (halved) breadcakes under for 2 minutes each side. Remove from the grill, and put the potato burger on the bread, with more mozzarella (optional). After 5 minutes under the grill, remove and add lettuce and tomatoes.