‘Decadence’ would be the ultimate word to describe these. Cheesy, garlicky and buttery deliciousness encased in soft yet crusty balls of dough. Perfection. Totally and utterly the most wonderful creation.
1 hour 30 mins
I made 15 but it really depends on the size you make them.
You will need…(for the dough)
🌸350g plain/almond flour
🌸1 tsp sea salt
🌸2 tbsp olive oil (also a little more for the top of the dough balls for the oven)
🌸1 sachet fast-acting yeast
🌸200ml warm water
(For the filling)…
🌸75g vegan butter
🌸1/2 tsp garlic purée (or more depending on if you are a garlic-a-holic)
🌸75g your favourite vegan cheese
🌸75g vegan cream cheese
How to make:
1) In one large mixing bowl, combine salt and flour and mix with a spoon. In another bowl, add the water, oil and yeast and mix well, then pour and mix into the flour. Use your fingers to to mix everything together until a well-combined dough is formed.
2) Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 5-10 minutes until soft and stretchy. Set aside in a bowl and leave to prove for 1 hour.
3) While waiting for this to rise, mix together your cheese, cream cheese, butter and garlic purée until you achieve a paste; refrigerate whilst waiting for the dough.
4) Preheat your oven to 180°C.
5) Remove the dough from the bowl after 1 hour and proceed to pull off chunks according to the size you wish your dough balls to be. For each individual one, flatten in the palm of your hand, place 1 1/2 teaspoons of the cheese mixture into the centre, then fold the sides of dough up, pinch to seal, and roll in to a ball. Place onto baking paper on a baking tray and repeat.
6) Use a pastry brush or the back of a spoon to apply a layer of olive oil to each ball, and place in the oven. 7) Bake for 8-12 minutes or until golden. Enjoy warm on their own or with a salad etc.