If you are in need of a speedy cake fix, this recipe is for you as it is so quick and simple – I’m sure a total beginner at baking would be able to make it with no problem. You can decorate in any way you want, from buttercream to icing, right down to a layer of jam or icing sugar; all ways are perfectly delicious. 🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸
12-20 pieces depending on portion sizes
You will need…(for the sponge)
🌸225g/8oz caster sugar
🌸275g/10oz self raising flour
🌸Splash of milk
🌸4 large eggs
🌸75g unsalted butter
🌸175g icing sugar
🌸2 tbsp milk
How to make:
1) Preheat your oven to 190C (170C fan assisted)/375F/Gas 5.
2) For the sponge, the ‘all-in-one’ method really speaks for itself. Use a large mixing bowl and add the butter, sugar, flour, milk and eggs, and beat until all ingredients are combined and are of a thick and gloopy consistency. It is recommended to taste the mixture at this point just to be totally sure it tastes ok (read also: use this opportunity to taste beautiful sponge batter mix because you have an excuse, right?)
3) Pour the mixture into a baking-paper lined tin, of around 30 x 23cm, and use a wooden spoon to make sure it is level, and reaches all corners.
4) Bake for around 35 minutes until it has risen and is of a golden colour (check to see if it is cooked by inserting a knife into the centre. When removed, if the knife is clean, it is cooked, if it comes out with mixture on it, leave to bake for longer).
5) Once removed, leave to cool, still in the tin (for as long as possible before you absolutely must set about eating or decorating).
For my cake, I used a serrated bread knife to carefully cut the sponge in half to allow for a layer of cherry jam.
For a buttercream decoration:
1) Use a wooden spoon to mix together the butter and icing sugar until it is of a smooth consistency. Small drops of food colouring can be used to change the colour.
2) Spread the buttercream evenly on the sponge.
As a further decoration I used ‘chocolate beans’ to create flower shapes on my cake.
And that’s it! Quick. Easy. Simple. Enjoy!